Work Abroad but earn in USD

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Getting A DNI Without A Visa

A reader wanted to know whether it was possible to obtain a DNI without a visa. I'll answer that question today.

Reader's Question

I am an USA citizen purchasing a condo in Buenos Aires in April. I hope to visit once a year for 1 or 2 months. I see the benefit in having a DNI but don't think I qualify for any of the temporary residency visas. I would be visiting with a tourist visa. I have my CDI for the purchase of the condo.

My question is can one get a DNI without the residency?

Getting Your DNI

You cannot get a DNI without getting your residency. The fact is, the DNI is the identity document that is given to all Argentines. If you don't have a residency visa, you don't have the legal right to live in the country. So, you won't be able to get a DNI.

However, just about everyone can qualify for a residency visa in Argentina. If you don't think you qualify for any of the visas, you're probably not thinking hard enough. Most people can reorganize their situation somewhat so that they can qualify for a residency visa. It may take a few months to do so, but it can be done.

In your situation, it would make good sense to get a residency visa and I'll tell you why. If you're going to be in Argentina each year for a few months, what you can do is renew your visa/DNI each time you are here in Argentina. After three years, you'll be given a permanent visa (the Argentine equivalent of a green card) and then, for the rest of your life, you'll be able to come and go as you please here in Argentina without the need to bother with visas, etc. So, your idea to get a DNI is a good one. You just need to reorganize your situation to qualify for one of the visas.

Labels: ,


Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do I get started with the residency visa? I already have bought my own apartment - will that make any difference? Who do I need to see first for the visa and then where do I go from there to get a DNI? Many thanks for any advice, JR

3/09/2006 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger El Expatriado said...

I'd use ARCA to get your visa. They did mine. They're a sponsor on this blog, so its easy to find them.

4/21/2006 06:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am interested in buying a property here. can someone recommend a good realtor (i.e. they understand foreigners need with good local knowledge) and a good lawyer who understands international and Argentinian law.

Thank you

2/03/2007 05:03:00 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Why in hells name do all gringos go all over the world buying property? Hane they not figured out yet, that it is cheaper and better to rent? I travel all over the world, have lived in 27 different countries, and when I get the urge to leave, I go, without having to worry about my property. When renting, you don't have to ficx the roof, paint the outside or pay property taxes. O second thought, why can't gringos just stay in their "Best country in the world"?

1/07/2009 05:39:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...


I'm an Estonian citizen and would like to live in Argentina for 1 year (maybe more). I can find out information for US, but for Estonia it's very hard. On some sites it says I can stay there for 90 days, but like I said I would to live for a year.

What would I need (if anything) to do this?

Thank you for any advice

4/06/2010 07:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home