Work Abroad but earn in USD

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Mundial Is Coming and Argentina Gets Ready

You can feel the anticipation. Everyone's talking about the Copa Mundial (or just "mundial), which is known to the English-speaking world as the World Cup. Mundial-fever is definitely something new for me. In the United States, I lived 25 years without noticing or caring about the World Cup. Advertisers are giving away tickets and trips as promotions -- it seems like everywhere I go, I've been entered into a contest to win a trip just by buying a soda, making a phone call, etc.

Not only are big businesses getting ready with promotions, but so are small ones. I noticed the corner café that I usually eat my lunch in has just installed a new 42-inch plasma screen. Apparently restaurants that do not show the game will be facing a severe loss of business during June. It wasn't just my local café, either. All over the city, new plasmas are going in.

The fever isn't just restricted to Argentina either. Last week in Brazil, the rioting prisoners of Sao Paulo demanded two things -- conjugal visits from their wives and girlfriends and plasma TVs to watch the World Cup. That just goes to show you how Latin Americans view the World Cup in terms of importance -- its right up there with sex.

In addition, I've been informed by people in my office that I should not expect anyone to be working should Argentina be playing during office hours. Since I'm American, apparently they felt the need to explain this to me explicitly, just so there's no confusion. I don't know how it works in other companies, but I expect that on the days Argentina is playing, there won't be too much work going on either.

So, get ready. Just 18 days until the start of the World Cup. If you're here in Argentina, its going to be the event for June/July.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger johnny said...

Can't wait ! I began following futbol in Miami over the years, and I am now a big fan. For those "American" sports fans who don't understand the fervor, imagine this:

What if professional football (the NFL), was played all over the world, AND was very competitive all over the world. In other words, no guarantee that the Seattle Seahawks would beat the Tokyo Suiciders or the Amsterdam Potheads, or Caracas Oilnuts in a championship final. AND, every four years there was an international tournament to determine who was the best football team. HUGE !!!! That is, in some sense, what the World Cup is like, though with tons of nationalism thrown into the mix as well. At least that's my take on it.
So, I look forward to rooting for both the EEUU and Argentina. I know more Argentine futbol players than players for the US squad. Let's go Messi, Crespo and Teves !!

5/22/2006 07:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Planning a stint in Uruguay or Chile if England play Argentina.....God knows what happens to us Brits if Argentina suffer a loss !!!!

5/22/2006 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger ch said...

We´re are going on training Camp outside Hamburg and will attend some of the matches.
England vs. Argentina is a classic - but we´re a hoping for rasil vs. Sweeden !

5/24/2006 05:50:00 AM  
Blogger Dr. Pancrácio said...

So, chematuco, if I understand you correctly, you "love argentina and its people" yet you don't support its futbol team because of "[the] country, its history or its culture". Makes no sense to me.

5/30/2006 01:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

VAMOS ARGENTINA !!! i love youuuu... we are the winners :D

6/03/2006 12:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eyy i was reading your blog onli to practice my engish but every time i read it it was so nteresting and now i read it all the time , you make me realise of some kind of argentine personality an other argentine society thing that i dont pay atention ..but enyway i see that you are now undertanding haw the world cup its so important for argentine people ,well you think you know but you have to live here to really understand the fever abaut it hope you enoy it bye ....

(sorry my englishf or enyone who want to help me with it only a chat i let my msn kall92@hotmail.com-lucas)

6/07/2006 04:17:00 AM  
Blogger johnny said...

This is not an ad, just info. The Shamrock on Rodriguez Pena is showing Argentina matches widescreen. Walked by there today.

6/10/2006 02:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just completed our long-awaited trip to Argentina. We watched the first game against the Ivory Coast. The city was pulsing with excitement! It was so great! We watched it at Il Triangolo on Guido, right next to our hotel.

We LOVED Argentina and can't wait to go back!

6/15/2006 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger johnny said...

3-0 Argentina over Serbia y Montenegro at half. I am following a live blog from a reporter from the New York Times, who is extremely impressed by Argentina. Arguably, they are the the leading candidate to take it all, given their performance to this point. Let's hear from all the bitter Argie bashers out there who to this point have nothing to poke with their steely knives.

6/16/2006 11:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Volveremos, volveremos!!! volveremos otra vez, volveremos a ser campeones como en el '86 !!!

Vamos Argentinaaaa..!!!

6/26/2006 08:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home