Work Abroad but earn in USD

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Argentina Customs Taxes On Electronics

Getting home theater equipment in Argentina is not easy. The prices are insane. If you plan on watching anything larger than a 30 inch TV, forget about buying your TV there – unless you like being ripped off. Retail price for a 50” Marantz Plasma TV:

  • Argentina: $11,990 (Wullich Audo Video)
  • USA: $7999 (Wild West Electronics)
  • Difference: $3991 (50%)
  • Customs Tax On Electronics: 50% (recently sent a digital camera to a friend and found this out the hard way)
  • Coincidence? I think not.

What’s the moral of this story? If you want nice electronics, buy them BEFORE you go to Argentina and take them with you. From what I understand from the moving companies, if you take things with you in a big 20-ft container and declare that they are your own personal property, you don’t have to pay customs tax on bringing them into the country. Of course, if you bought the TV outside of the country and just had them ship it individually (without other household goods) into the country, they would probably nail you for the 50% customs tax.

I’ve never been too sympathetic to all the anti-globalization protesters, but things like this just further prove my point. Its times like these that you have to say… countries without free trade suck. Despite all the problems with US foreign policy, promoting free trade around the world is not one of them.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I too am planning to move to Argentina. This will not happen for another two years, thats when
the magic age of 62 arrives and I can start collecting my S/S check.
Regarding the home theater, did you check into voltage convertors?,
I have a fairly sophisticated set up and would hate to have to start all over again

5/12/2005 04:22:00 PM  
Blogger Juan Alejandro Larronde said...

wow! your blog its one of few talking about the custom taxes in Argentina!
I live here and want to buy a pro camcorder and I can´t beleive that I must pay HALF the price as tax.
Maybe I should call our President to ask her if she pays custom taxes for her Louis Vuitton bags.
Un abrazo, hermano!

4/20/2009 12:53:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello,
I have a resident visa for a year. For my work I need two computers, a PC and a Mac. Do you know if I can bring both into the country when I go back from the US.
I had to travel here and this is the first time going back with 2 computers. The time before they came with the shipping, so I had no problems, but I am a little concerned now. I do not want to pay taxes.
Does anybody know anything about this?

7/13/2009 03:18:00 PM  
Blogger Transitionradio said...

will I be able to bring my lap top and digital camera with me on vacation to Argentina without beint taxed?

12/29/2011 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger martimrock said...

Hello i have a question
if i send a new psp 3000 whit some games in a different box than the original the price its 130 dollars plus a couple of games like 50 more dollars make a total of 180, whem my sister go to the postal serviece in argentina to pick the psps and games they will have to pay tax?
Thanks.Martin A

12/29/2011 07:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home