Work Abroad but earn in USD

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Saving Money With A Student Visa

A reader wrote in today about using a student visa to save money on Aerolineas Argentinas flights. In addition to saving money on flights, you'll also be able to qualify for a number of other benefits.

Reader's Question

Do you know if I can get the unrestricted airfare on Aerolineas if I have a year-long student visa? It would be hard to avoid them, as I understand they are the main carrier of Argentina.

The Benefits of a Visa

With your student visa, you'll be able to get a DNI (Argentina's national identity document) when you get here, as well as a CUIL (a tax ID number) even though you'll pay no tax here. With the DNI, you'll be able to all the local fares on Aerolineas Argentinas. With the DNI and the CUIL, you'll be able to open a bank account, rent your own apartment (should you decide not to live with a family), and even get utilities established in your name.

When that family quoted you $300 USD per month to rent a room, keep in mind that for $300 USD monthly you could easily rent your very own 1000 square foot apartment. You might even find a few roommates and further push the cost down. Even at $300 USD per month, you're still getting overcharged.

For low cost student visas, I suggest contacting ARCA, who will not only get your student visa, but also get your DNI and CUIL for you when you arrive.

Labels: , ,


Anonymous Anonymous said...

a correction here: you don't need a CUIT to do any of the above..a DNI will suffice.

Also, if the topic is saving money, why use ARCA - they charge very high prices for a service that one can do direct with the Argentine government at very low costs. Any overseas Argentine consulate will provide free translation services if that is an issue.

6/16/2005 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger El Expatriado said...

You do need a CUIL to open a bank account here. A DNI will not suffice. So, this is not correct. I never said you needed a CUIT (which is for self-employed workers and business owners). Also, I happen to know for a fact that ARCA does not charge high prices for student visas. Perhaps you got lucky getting your student visa approved easily, but I've been e-mailed by several students who got no cooperation from their consulate at all. ARCA got their visa approved in just 20 days and at very good prices.

6/16/2005 12:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Joseph G. said...

I will actually be paying $344 :(.
I found another lady to stay with and it is very close ot the university.
The price includes breakfast, dinner, and laundry so it isn't TOO outrageous..but I know it is kind of pricey.I plan to live in an apartment after the first semester.
Do you know much about getting a DNI?Thats very intersting.I couldn't find any prices on their site..

I actually got my student visa Tuesday, so I won't be using ARCA for it.
Other than the absolutely ridiculous amounts of documents they want you to collect, it was an easy process.
It only took 3 business days for them to process my visa in Houston.Really wasn't too bad..

6/16/2005 06:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is "not a high price?" And can you get a student visa if you are just, say, taking a few spanish classes? Or do you need to show proof of being a full-time student?

6/17/2005 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger said...

I went the student visa route before I moved down here. It was a moutain of paperwork and running around but they finally processed it. You basically have to show you have finances to live down here. A bank statement showing your balance will suffice. Also, they needed a letter from the school that I enrolled in that had to get certified from the Education Minister. A lot of running around town.

You can get it if you are just taking a few spanish classes. Just enroll with a reputable school and then you are fine. You can get a 6 month visa fairly easily. The 12 month visa is more involved and you have to get medical exams.

Argentina is NOT an easy country to get residency status in. It's a fairly expensive process and very time consuming. It's easy to live here indefinitely without getting residency but for those of us who live and work here and plan to the rest of our lives...residency is key.

6/17/2005 01:14:00 AM  
Blogger said...

Actually, one doesnt even need a DNI, much less a CUIL in most banks. You can easily get a CDI number from the government using your foreign passport, and with that CDI number you can smoothly open up bank accounts and do many other things that locals can.

6/17/2005 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Keisha said...

I will be actually be doing a latin immersion program in argentina for about 3 months, which they indicated i would not need a student visa as the tourist visa lasts for about 90 days. My problem though is that i wanted to open a bank account while there so that i can receive money from home. How do i go about opening an account in this case.

5/26/2009 06:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home