Work Abroad but earn in USD

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Returning to Argentina

A few days back a reader wrote in with a question about returning to Argentina. I'll do my best to answer this.

Reader's Question

I was born in Argentina, but my parents moved us to Miami when I was two. Luckily, I'm a US citizen and and Argentine citizen. I do have to get a DNI when I get there and renew my Argentine Passport. Do you have any information on whether things will be eaiser for me as far as renting/purchasing property, starting a business, etc. because I was born there and I speak fluent Spanish?

My Response

I do know that there is a law that states Argentine citizens must enter the country using their Argentine passport. This is very common throughout the world -- citizens are always requested to enter their country using their country's passport.

In reality, I doubt this is enforced. You said yourself that you've been several times to Argentina before. Nevertheless, you may want to contact the Argentine consulate to see if they could get you your documents before you go. I do remember when I was back at the Argentine consulate a year and a half ago, I overheard someone who was in the same situation as you. His parents moved him to the U.S. and he had no connection with Argentine. Well, now he was trying to travel outside the country and needed a passport. Since he wasn't a U.S. citizen, he was there trying to get an Argentine passport.

The consulate made him fill out some paperwork and informed him that he must get his DNI first and only then would they give him the passport. I imagine its the same thing for you. You'll need to apply for your DNI and then get your passport. If you need help, I'd recommend you contact ARCA and I'm sure they'd be able to look up your status with the National Registry and tell you what to do.

Starting a Business

As an Argentine citizen who speaks fluent Spanish, I can say that you will surely have an advantage over us yanquis who don't. I'm forced to rely on my staff to deal with a lot of the people I would rather be interacting with directly. If I had the ability to speak fluent Spanish, I'm positive things would be much easier and quicker for me here.



Blogger rickulivi said...

One of the hardests parts of starting a business in a new country is accepting that things are different--not better, not worse when compared to the USA--but just different. It will take you a time to accept that reality, and the faster you accept it, the easier the transition will be for you.

7/10/2005 10:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an argentinian living in the US with an American daughter and husband. We are in the process of moving back to Argentina.

Answering to the question as to why you have to enter with an Argentinian passport and not and American is because if you enter with an American passport you have to show proof of temporary of permanent residency in Argentina in order to stay more than 90 days.
If you enter with an American passport and dont have a permanent or resident visa you will be given a tourist visa and will be required to leave after 90 days. You will not be able to obtain a DNI, work or go to school if you dont have one. If you enter with your Argentinian passport you will not have any visa or residency problems. Please also note that Argentina does not have dual citizenship agreements with the US, so if you are an american citizen, your parents will have to request a permanent resident visa at your closest consulate (It is taking about 3 months to process them now)

unless you have Argentinian residency from one of your parents, or because

1/04/2009 02:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home