Work Abroad but earn in USD

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Airline Tickets For Pesos

I just wanted to let everyone know that I recently bought 20 airline tickets on Aerolineas Argentinas for some in-country flights that my family and I will be doing in November of this year. We're going to be flying all over the country. I'm the only one in my family with a DNI, but they let me buy all the tickets at the peso rate rather than the peso rate for me and the dollar rate for everyone else.

If you've been following this blog before, you'll know I commented on the fact that Aerolineas Argentinas makes foreigners pay the tariffs in dollars, while locals with a DNI number can pay the rate in pesos (an impressive 65% savings). Well, assuming they don't re-price the tickets at the airport and pull any shenanigans, we'll have purchased 20 in-country flights for about $140 USD each instead of $400 USD each -- a savings of over $5000 USD on airfare! If you've been waiting for a reason to get your DNI, this is just one more reason to go for it.

I'll be booking the hotels next with my DNI and I'll let everyone know what the savings are there.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Turribeach.com.ar said...

The dual fare issue in Argentina is so unfair! But Aerolineas Argentinas has overcharged us (Argentinians) so many years that I feel that overcharging foreigners is somehow fare! (Someone must pay for their inefficiency, the lack of competition and the fact that is not a huge market for national flights hence mass scale economies do not apply mostly)

7/18/2005 04:13:00 AM  
Blogger Turribeach.com.ar said...

PS: I like the fact that you suspended anonymous comments. Everyone "should show their face", at least the virtual one... ;-)

7/18/2005 04:13:00 AM  
Blogger ABA said...

It drives me crazy this dual pricing system. I recently went on a skiing trip to Bariloche with all my Porteno friends. 6 of us in all and I was the only non-Porteno. My ticket was almost double of their tickets.

I am headed to Mendoza with my girlfriend. I booked the hotel in her name to get a price discount. I know others that bought tickets for their friends or family but it got repriced at the airport. Good luck.

8/09/2005 01:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question about the DNI... If I received an Extranjero DNI while I was living in Argentina for a couple years will that still be valid to use for the traveling discount? or does that DNI expire after some time? I plan on returning in December of this year.

11/03/2008 03:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home